Mayor Jones announces the completion of Richmond’s first Bicycle Master Plan at Friday’s Bike to Work Day rally.
Bike Month Week 2 in Richmond was pretty busy, with a bike rodeo in Church Hill, commuter bike trains, and Bike to Work Day commuter stations and a rally downtown. This week is even more packed, with rides around Wetlands, Windsor Farms, playgrounds, and Church Hill; bike safety classes; and a restaurant flash mob! See the full list with links below.
At Friday’s Bike to Work Day rally, Mayor Jones officially announced the city’s first-ever Bicycle Master Plan. The RTD story on the plan is here, and you can find more pics of Bike to Work Day on the Bike Walk RVA Facebook page here.
The Master Plan is not a set-in-stone deal, but gives our bike-ped coordinator and the new city traffic engineer (yay!) a starting point in terms of priorities, goals, etc. As the RTD reports, the city has 12 new projects outlined for the next 4 years, including a pair of protected bike lanes on Franklin and Main downtown, and four additional bike-walk streets similar to Floyd Avenue:
- E. Grace Street from Laurel Street to N 9th Street
- S. Meadow Street from W. Broad Street to Colorado Ave.
- E Marshall St/Glenwood Ave from Mosby St. to Government Road
- Maple Ave. from Park Ave. to Grove Ave
More on that later. For now, we have some biking to do! Here’s all the great stuff happening this week:
Monday May 18 – Traffic Skills 101 – Bike Safety and Education Class
Monday May 18 – Windsor Farms Tour
Tuesday May 19 – Bryan Park Summer Racing Series
Friday May 22 – Bon Air > Downtown Bike Train
Saturday May 23 – Giro di Playgrounds
Saturday May 23 – Bike the Wetlands!
Saturday May 23 – Church Hill Bike Saunter and Picnic
Saturday May 23 – Traffic Skills 101 – Bike Safety and Education Class
Sunday May 24 – Bikes Mean Business Restaurant Flash Mob
And don’t forget that 10 businesses on the Northside are offering discounts and special offers to customers who arrive by bicycle this month. A map of the businesses can be found here, and below is the list:
- Once Upon a Vine (raffle for $50 gift certificate)
- Rich’s Stitches (10% discount)
- Stir Crazy Café (10% discount)
- Omega Grecian Restaurant (10% discount)
- The Mill (10% discount)
- The Eclectic Cottage (10% discount)
- Little House Green Grocery (10% discount)
- Expressions Hair Salon (10% discount)
- Nicola Flora (10% discount)
- Bellevue Dry Cleaners (10% discount)